The Runner’s Support Program offered at Elevation Fitness through Liddy Health Works is specifically designed to help runners achieve performance goals while helping to identify, eliminate and prevent injuries many running athletes face.
The Running Support Program provides:
- A comprehensive physical evaluation
- Identification of any running injuries
- Tips to avoid injury
- Gait analysis -Orthotic evaluation
- Help to achieve more efficient running
- Core Conditioning
- Functional Fitness
- Podiatric Care
The most common injuries for runners are:
1. Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome – Pain in and/or around the front of the knee or kneecap.
2. Iliotibial Band Syndrome – Pain along the outside of the knee or the thigh, after a run or climbing stairs. Typically an overuse injury, a tightening of the band of tissue which runs down the outside of the thigh and inserts into the outside of the knee.
3. Achilles Tendonitis – Another overuse injury. It is caused by degeneration of normal fiber tissue of the achilles tendon. This injury causes pain in the tendon of the calf above the heel.
4. Shin Splints – Symptoms are pain over the inner lower shin. Pain may decrease with activity but return the next morning. Pain is felt when pointing toes and foot away from the body.
5. Foot/Ankle/Heel Pain Plantar Faciitis – An irritation or swelling of the fascia on the bottom of the foot. The fascia is a tendon-like expansion running from the heel to the toes. Pain with first steps in the morning then less stiffness and pain after taking a few steps. May hurt more through the day, especially when climbing stairs, running or standing for a long time.
By understanding the anatomy, physiology and biomechanics involved in running, we identify the running injury and its cause. We treat running injuries by correcting posture and muscular imbalances. Using specific exercises, the runner builds strength while increasing flexibility. These services are available to runners of all levels, especially runners beginning training for marathons or half marathons.
Our experienced staff will give you information on how to avoid injury and improve running performance.